Thursday, January 8, 2009

Heathrow and Jet Lag

Well, I have been rather neglectful of this blog recently, as I have been in the US over break, meaning that I have avoided anything that resembles work. It was really good to be home, and it went by really fast. I was both in Maryland at home and out in Chicago catching up with my Wheaton friends.

The flight this time went though London, and I was curious what Heathrow would be like, since I had read it's a terrible airport: unreliable, dirty, just not good. However, on my brief way through, I think it was one of the nicest airports I have ever seen. It was really modern and fancy, with the usual shopping and restaurants, but more upscale than I expected. I found this Japanese restaurant that was really authentic, they had yakisoba, tonkatsu, ramen, and even edamame as a side (for like 4 pounds, 6 or 7 dollars). I got ramen, and it was real ramen, quite filling, and cost 9 pounds, which came to 12 dollars with tip. Rather expensive, but only a bit more than the usual price for genuine Japanese ramen, like non-instant. It's really a whole different food.

But I digress. My sleep schedule has been rather warped since I have arrived. I got in Saturday night at 9:30 pm, went to bed at 2 am, then woke up at 5 am Sunday morning. I went to church, and then came back and fell asleep at 2 pm. I woke up a few times, but didn't get up until midnight. I hadn't eaten all day, so at 2 am I made some freeze dried beef stew which I had gotten for Christmas. I'm sure you all can relate, you know being in Nairobi and eating freeze dried food in the middle of the night because you can't sleep. I was up from midnight to 4 am, and then slept until 7:30. I went to my 8 am class, and then actually didn't go to bed until 11, but woke up anyway at like 3:45 am. Its getting better though, I didn't get up until 5 today. It's kind of nice, pretending I'm a morning person, having several hours to do things before my 8 am class, but I know it won't last. And it will also be nice to be on a normal schedule again. Its now 2:15, so I should go have lunch. I decided to utilize the faster internet capacities afforded by lunch hour (1 to 2), but the window of half decent speeds has passed. Until next time...


Andrew in Japan said...

hehe, nice job on getting real ramen when it's available! it did sound reasonably authentic, although i don't think having edamame on the side really contributes anything... i think that's pretty standard at japanese places now.

i know what u mean about pretending to be a morning person with that jet lag though, i totally did that after singapore and it was sweet cuz it lasted like a month

Angel said...

if you're remembering bad comments about heathrow from me, i do think it's a nice, clean airport. but the people working there were not very friendly. i didn't like the culture more than the airport itself. but maybe that's just because it's airport british culture and people are busy. british culture in general might be better.